Eaton Corporation Manufacturing Engineer (Fixed term contract) in South Molton, United Kingdom
State the primary function or overall purpose of your position.
This position is responsible for supporting plant leadership in achieving business and financial goals by developing and maintaining robust manufacturing processes and leading continuous improvement / cost out initiatives across the organization. Additional responsibility includes executing the organization’s strategic plan consistent with UK & European legislation, and local regulations, established industry standards, and customer requirements
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: (Limit yourself to 8-12 statements)
List the essential functions (i.e. key responsibilities with expected end results) which must be accomplished in order to fulfill the purpose of your position as described above.
Develops and maintains robust, cost efficient manufacturing processes and product structures consistent with lean manufacturing practices. Must be mindful of process and test capabilities and recognize organizational core competencies. Ensures root cause and failure analysis is performed as required.
Leads cost-out events and promotes culture of continuous improvement. Applies lean manufacturing techniques as means to eliminate waste and deliver products to customer’s expectations.
Implements methods and practices to reduce variation. Develops team’s ability to understand source(s) of variation and identify impact of tolerance stacks in assemblies by applying Six Sigma Design and Development strategies. Understands application of SPC and gage R&R.
Participates in concurrent engineering efforts and critical design reviews to minimize product development costs and maximize useful life of products. Conducts Design For Manufacturing and value engineering initiatives as applicable. Develops work breakdown structures as a tool to develop cost estimates.
Participates in new product development projects using ProLaunch as a tool to articulate deliverables and a vehicle to commit to schedules
Coordinates manufacturing liaison/s for products from inception through shipment to customer.
Develops and integrates new processes and methodologies as to provide competitive advantages for the business. Recommends Capital Appropriation Requests (including payback and net present value analysis) for acquisition of equipment to support emerging and existing technologies. Trains associates as required.
Record any measurable statistics which your position impacts such as production expenses, maintenance expenses, sales volumes, payroll costs, capital expenditures, research budgets, cost of purchases, value of inventories controlled, employees supervised (direct and indirect).
· Capital expenditure
· Complexity of material or processes Managed (Low, Medium, High)
· Scrap and Rework
· First Pass Yield
Describe any specialized knowledge or skill (e.g., technical, scientific, administrative, managerial) which your position requires.
· Degree qualified (or equivalent) in a relevant discipline
· Detailed knowledge of lean manufacturing techniques – i.e. value stream mapping, one piece flow, etc.
· Understanding of Six Sigma concepts and tools and where they relate to minimizing process / product variability – i.e. regression analysis, design of experiments, hypothesis testing, etc. Ensuring they are deployed appropriately
· Thorough understanding of problem solving methodologies used in determining root cause and formulating corrective action(s) - i.e. thought maps, 8D, root cause analysis, Process Failure Mode Effect Analysis, Gage R & R, control charts, Pareto charts, etc.
· Proficiency in various software applications – i.e. Computer Aided Design, Computer Aided Manufacturing, MS Office suite, MiniTab, etc.
· Knowledge of manufacturing principles and technical specifications to support facilities competencies – i.e. metal cutting, tool design, injection molding, welding, soldering, etc.
· Ability to lead cross-functional process improvement teams
· Detailed knowledge of engineering design and product reliability concepts as to facilitate analysis of fluid dynamics, thermal dynamics, electronic circuits, etc.
· Understanding of ProLaunch.
· Knowledge of industry and customer specific quality processes (i.e., ISO9001, AS9100 etc).
· Knowledge of product and end user application/specifications, including product testing requirements. (design/process interface).
· Degree in Six Sigma or similar subject.
QualificationsDegree qualified (or equivalent) in a relevant discipline
We make what matters work. Everywhere you look—from the technology and machinery that surrounds us, to the critical services and infrastructure that we depend on every day—you’ll find one thing in common. It all relies on power. That’s why Eaton is dedicated to improving people’s lives and the environment with power management technologies that are more reliable, efficient, safe and sustainable. Because this is what matters.
We are confident we can deliver on this promise because of the attributes that our employees embody. We’re ethical, passionate, accountable, efficient, transparent and we’re committed to learning. These values enable us to tackle some of the toughest challenges on the planet, never losing sight of what matters.
Job: Manufacturing & Operations
Region: Europe, Middle East, Africa
Organization: AER FMC Fuel Motion Control Systems
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Is remote work (i.e. working from home or another Eaton facility) allowed for this position?: No
Does this position offer relocation?: No
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time
Eaton is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. Eaton is committed to ensuring equal employment opportunities for all job applicants and employees. Employment decisions are based upon job-related reasons regardless of an applicant's race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, marital status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by law.