Eaton Corporation Commissioning Engineer in Raleigh, North Carolina
Eaton’s Electrical Engineering Systems and Services Division is seeking a Commissioning Engineer. The Commissioning Engineer can be based anywhere in the continental U.S. and will be 75%-100% travel.
Position Overview :
Eaton’s Engineering Services & Systems Division wants to help you fuel your career! Eaton has the largest and most experienced team of field services technicians and engineers in the industry. This team brings extensive skills and experiences to field service engineering. Active participation in recognized technical societies such as NFPA and IEEE and collaboration with a variety of utilities and industries ensures that our technicians are knowledgeable about today’s cutting edge technology and engineering techniques. We assist customers at every stage of the power system: offering start-up and commissioning of equipment, performing planned maintenance, monitoring performance, diagnosing system problems remotely, as well as responding to emergencies on a 24/7 basis, 365 days a year. Our support services help businesses make the most of their existing electrical equipment by optimizing performance and extending the life of existing facilities.
The Power Distribution Systems organization offers career opportunities at a variety of levels representing increased scope and responsibility within the organization. The Commissioning Engineer will be responsible for commissioning transmission and Distribution substations additions or modifications are installed, function, and energized correctly. This role will serve as a safety net to ensure that any errors introduced by incorrectly engineered design packages, installation errors, or equipment failures are corrected before the equipment is energized and released for service. Ultimately the Commissioning Engineer prevents errors from compromising the reliability of the T&D system and from compromising the safety of employees involved in operating or maintaining the system.
Essential Responsibilities :
• Review specification and engineering drawings to understand the purpose and functionality of substation.
• Schedule the installation and commissioning with subcontractors and customer.
• Provide safety analysis and proper equipment isolation procedure.
• Provide a day-to-day outage plan for customer.
• Develop detail test procedure and sign-off sheet for each piece of equipment.
• Monitor the construction and be available to address technical questions as they arise during construction, installation and testing.
• Identify and resolve design errors.
• Assist field crews and dispatch in developing switching to properly sequence in equipment, making sure proper hold points for testing are incorporated.
• Directly witness or perform critical tests such as DC Functional Trip Testing prior to energization and in-service
• Direct crews as necessary during critical work junctures. This typically occurs during final commission, just prior and through initial energization.
• Acknowledge substation modification is complete and functional and formally turns it over to Dispatch to be operated within its design limits.
• A Commissioning Engineer is expected to support several capital projects occurring at the same time. Accordingly they rotate amongst the jobs, keeping abreast of the construction activities, reviewing test results and monitoring the work so as to anticipate any problems and gauge their level of involvement from a technical support perspective.
Near project completion, as the equipment is ready to have its control schemes functionally tested and the equipment energized is when a commissioning engineer will be required to work extended hours/days in a row at a particular job site.
• This position does not directly supervisor a crew, however they will direct field technicians from time to time on performing technical tasks as needed.
• Possess and Maintain a valid and unrestricted driver’s license
*Please be aware that by submitting an application to this job the candidate consents to Eaton sharing the candidate's resume with Eaton field service partners/customers as needed as part of the selection process
Basic Qualifications :
• Bachelor's degree in electrical engineering from an accredited institution
• Minimum 3 years of substation and/or relay testing experience
• Minimum 5 years of engineering experience
• Legally authorized to work in the United States without company sponsorship
• The position is open geography. Candidates must reside in the continental U.S. to be considered.
Preferred Qualifications :
• 7+ years of experience evaluating and servicing electrical distribution or control systems is desirable. Experience in testing, troubleshooting, evaluating, and servicing electrical distribution and control systems is highly desirable.
•Protection and Control experience with transmission and distribution equipment
• 5+ years working with High voltage substations
• Must be able to meet and maintain customer entrance and qualification requirements
We make what matters work. Everywhere you look—from the technology and machinery that surrounds us, to the critical services and infrastructure that we depend on every day—you’ll find one thing in common. It all relies on power. That’s why Eaton is dedicated to improving people’s lives and the environment with power management technologies that are more reliable, efficient, safe and sustainable. Because this is what matters.
We are confident we can deliver on this promise because of the attributes that our employees embody. We’re ethical, passionate, accountable, efficient, transparent and we’re committed to learning. These values enable us to tackle some of the toughest challenges on the planet, never losing sight of what matters.
Region: North America – US/Puerto Rico
Organization: ESSG EESSD Electrical Engrg Svcs Systems Div
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Is remote work (i.e. working from home or another Eaton facility) allowed for this position?: Yes
Does this position offer relocation?: No
Travel: Yes, 75 % of the Time
Eaton is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. Eaton is committed to ensuring equal employment opportunities for all job applicants and employees. Employment decisions are based upon job-related reasons regardless of an applicant's race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, marital status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by law.